Top 10 Reasons to Snub David Letterman After the Palin Fiasco:
By Jack Engelhard
10: He’s not funny.
9: His jokes are written by 20 frat boys who have an IQ of 180 – combined.
8. His audience gets in for free – and even that’s paying too much.
7. On his best day he’s no Johnny Carson. Carson would never stoop for a laugh.
6. Letterman’s reference to Sarah Palin as “slutty” was an insult to all women.
5. Letterman’s routine on Monday took up the Palin family’s visit to New York, which included a trip to the ball park. Here’s Letterman in his own words: “During the seventh inning, her [Palin’s] daughter was knocked-up by Alex Rodriguez.” Todd Palin, the father, responded like this: “Any jokes about raping my 14-year-old daughter are despicable.”
4. A perverted crack like that, by Letterman, got on national TV.
3. But a quip like that against a 14-year-old girl would most likely require registration as a sex offender in my neighborhood.
2. Letterman and his staff of writers misunderstand the phrase – “Women and children first.”
1. On the pretense of contrition, Letterman denied that he was a “celebrity.” Now we know what he isn’t – and we know what he is.
Novelist Jack Engelhard wrote the international bestselling novel “Indecent Proposal” that was translated into more than 22 languages and turned into a Paramount motion picture starring Robert Redford and Demi Moore. His latest novel is “The Girls of Cincinnati.” He can be reached at his website www.jackengelhard.com